[This below is just in from the state board of education–note the deadline is September 14! Go to the website to apply. Also, it appears that several different sites within the state board of education give varying information as to how many students will be included on this panel. VJ]
The State Board of Education has established a Student Advisory Committee. The Student Advisory Committee will be a voice for all students in the District of Columbia and a communication link between the State Board and other education decision-makers and students. Committee members will also engage in service-learning projects that will help them develop their leadership skills.
Committee members will meet at least four (4) times a year and will also conduct student forums throughout the District.
The Student Advisory Committee is comprised of 17 students. Five (5) students will be selected from the most populous DCPS high schools; five (5) students will be selected from the most populous public charter high schools. Five (5) additional students will be selected from other schools. The State Board’s Student Representative will co-chair the Student Advisory Committee.
The following schools, representing approximately 48% of the District’s high schoolers, will be guaranteed one (1) committee member:
- Anacostia High School (DCPS)
- Woodson High School (DCPS)
- Eastern High School (DCPS)
- Columbia Heights Education Campus (DCPS)
- Wilson High School (DCPS)
- Thurgood Marshall Academy PCS
- Friendship PCS – Technology Preparatory Academy
- KIPP DC – College Preparatory PCS
- Friendship PCS – Collegiate Academy
Five additional committee members will be selected from other DCPS or public charter schools.
Applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Be a District of Columbia resident;
- Be a sophomore, junior, or senior in either a traditional public high school (District of Columbia Public Schools) or a public charter high school; and
- Possess a GPA of 2.5 or above on a 4.0 scale.